Following a massive, peaceful demonstration led by Al Sharpton and Martin Luther King III on Friday that attracted tens of thousands to Washington DC Friday, protesters clashed with police throughout the weekend, leading to tear gas, rubber bullets, pepper spray, and several arrests.

Saturday night protests

Police deployed flash grenades and pepper spray late Sunday night in Washington D.C. against Black Lives Matter demonstrators. After the situation de-escalated, protesters marched throughout the city, returning to “Black Lives Matter Plaza” in front of the White House around 4 a.m.

A brief dialogue with police broke down after protesters argued among themselves over whether to “negotiate” with police at all.


Sunday night protests

Activists held an “Abolish the police” march and launched fireworks throughout Washington D.C. Sunday night. The group began at the White House, but confronted patrons at a restaurant who they accused of being “gentrifiers.”

Their march entered a neighborhood, where they used strobe lights and fireworks to wake residents up and chanted, “If we don’t get no justice, you don’t get no sleep!”

Early Monday morning, participants in the rally returned to “Black Lives Matter Plaza” just north of the White House.

For months, officers have been stationed around St. John’s Cathedral.

Protesters taunted the officers and threw water bottles at them while yelling “let’s hydrate the pigs.”

Police responded with tear gas and pepper spray and made several arrests.


Monday jail support

Following the weekend of clashes in Washington DC that left many protesters arrested, activists gathered for “jail support” outside the courthouse Monday where many of their comrades were released without bail.

Some – originally charged with felony riot, disorderly conduct, and reckless driving – were released with charges completely dropped.

Jail support consisted of medical assistance, food, drinks, alcohol, cigarettes, access to phones, and transportation.