This video was filmed beginning at 10:08 p.m. on May 2, 2015 in Baltimore by News2share credentialed reporters Ford Fischer and Trey Yingst.

Screen Shot 2015-05-11 at 8.05.48 PM

It records the events before, during and after the involuntary and illegal detainment of Fischer by Baltimore police officers for allegedly breaking the citywide 10:00 pm curfew even though news media were exempt from the curfew.

The specific officer at fault was Daniel Hersl, whose history of violence and misconduct, which have cost Baltimore over $600,000, include breaking a handcuffed man’s jaw, pouring a bottle of beer over a woman’s head and smashing her face with it, and a myriad of other brutalities. In one case, a judge ruled that Hersl’s entire record of misconduct was so egregious that a drug dealer arrested by him couldn’t be given a fair trial, and Herl’s history reveals a “lack of desire to tell the truth.”

Prior to the detainment approximately 4 minutes into the video from May 2, Fischer is attempting to objectively and safely record the events of the evening.

He remains on the opposite side of the street in order to avoid protestors and to stay out of the way of police.

While filming, he witnesses pepper spray, blunt force, and the threat of submachine guns used against people outside to enforce the curfew. When the police make an arrest, they approach Fischer and ask for his credentials. They are satisfied, and one says out loud “He’s credentialed media” and another officer says “I don’t care.”

Screen Shot 2015-05-11 at 8.06.50 PM


At this point, the camera is cut off when Fischer is approached from behind by Detective Daniel Hersl, forced to the ground and handcuffed.

Fischer is told he was violating curfew and is brought back to the police area to be processed.

At this point, Yingst begins filming. Yingst comes over to take possession of Fischer’s camera and backpack before he was taken to the police station, Yingst asks what the charge was. Twice more, the police say it

is a curfew violation despite being credentialed media.

Fischer is released later that night and may choose to pay the fine or stand trial.
Upon realizing that media are exempt from curfew, the police change the charge to a civil citation for disorderly conduct which carries a $500 fine.


As seen on: